Today, we are excited to announce the general availability of our new Voice API. For the past few months, we’ve been trialling the API with some of our beta customers and are happy to say that the API is now open for everyone! This marks an important milestone in the history of Nexmo as we release new and exciting voice products for our customers.
This release brings several new features to our existing voice capabilities, including:
- Call control: Programmatically control the flow of your calls with a powerful set of call control features that enable important voice use cases with only a few lines of code
- Call recording: Record and store inbound or outbound calls. Split-recording and dynamic contextual recording are coming soon
- Conferencing: Create a conference with one line of code to enable a simple call or take advantage of powerful enterprise features
- JSON based API schema: The API introduces a brand new schema based on JSON
Enabling new use cases
Our beta customers have already started building some great voice applications with a variety of use cases:
- Anonymous Voice Proxy: Protect a user’s privacy by connecting them to a call without exposing their real phone number. By keeping conversations between users inside your application or marketplace, you can avoid off-platform transactions
- Call tracking: Using the Nexmo Platform, you can easily capture all the metadata that’s important to your business. In addition, you can provision a virtual number for every campaign, every ad, or even every billboard so you can easily associate every call with the right campaign and route it accordingly
- Simple IVR: By tapping through a set of menus associated with different routine tasks, customers can accomplish many tasks without agent intervention. If a user needs to do something more complex, your recorded instructions can remind them to tap a specific key to be transferred directly to a live agent
Why should you try the new Nexmo Voice API?
With Nexmo, you get:
- Largest global reach of any communications platform with the ability to provision local numbers to 85 countries
- Largest worldwide reach of inbound numbers out of any cloud communications platform
- Per second billing; no rounding up of calls to the nearest minute
- Award-winning, global 24/7 support
- Ability to leverage multichannel from a single platform, including SMS, user authentication and soon WebRTC
Here are some resources to get you started:
- If you don’t already have one, sign up for a Nexmo developer account here. We’ll even throw in a free €2 to get you started
- Check out the use cases
- Look at the tutorials and start voice-enabling your application
- API documentation
- Join our Slack community channel and get involved
Don’t miss our Voice webinar
Join our special live webinar, in which Nexmo’s Voice Product Lead, Roland Selmer, will take you through what’s new in the Voice API and show you the basics for building programmable voice solutions, like an Interactive Voice Response (IVR) system, Conferencing, and Anonymous Voice Communication.
The live webinar will be offered on September 29th, 2016. Use the links below to register and hold your spot.
September 29th – 9:00AM PST – REGISTER
We’re looking forward to working with you to build the next generation of communication applications!Tags: call control, call recording, conferencing, IVR, json, Voice, voice proxy
This post was written by Roland Selmer